Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Jobs, Italy and the beach

I've been away from the blogosphere for a little while.  You'd think, as I'm still sitting here in a beach house essentially isolated from the world (well, physically, I still have the interwebs!) that I would spend lots of time blogging.  Well, that has not been the case.  And while my days are generally low key, slow-paced and relaxing, I have kept myself busy!  I have been applying for jobs, planning a belated honeymoon to Italy and just generally researching work and career options.  I did apply for a job writing textbook chapters for community college.  I just sent them a writing sample and (fingers crossed!) they like it and will want me to work for them!  It doesn't pay much, but this isn't about the money at this point, it's about gaining experience and building a resume.  I'm also applying for any and all teaching and writing positions I can find, including ones that aren't actually advertised,  I'm just sending my CV out there and hoping for some bites.  I realize this is probably not the best strategy, but as I'm on the opposite coast of where I permanently live, I'm a little limited in what I can do right now.  But I trudge on, looking for anything and everything that looks interesting and applying to it all!

I'm still excited about the idea of moving forward, away from the bench, and I'm intimidated.  But I would say I'm more intimidated about the job search and less about changing things up.  I hope the job search doesn't have to go on too long before I find SOMETHING.  Even if it's not my dream job (which, I don't even know what that would be, actually), I know I need to do something to occupy my time and I'd just feel better having a job.  And I'm so willing to do so many different things I just hope that I'll find something.  At this point, it's all new to me, so I'd like to try out many different things!  And I truly think that at this point, for me, anything would be better than my last position-the dreaded postdoc from hell.

So, fingers crossed! 

No comments:

Post a Comment